找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1943|回复: 1

[EN] 中英对照:丘吉尔名言20句

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-7-10 21:06 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
20世纪最重要的政治领袖之一,英国民众心中最伟大的英国人,近百年来最有说服力的演说家之一——这只是丘吉尔“定义”的一部分。据传,他是世界上英语词汇量最大的人之一,他还于1953年凭借《第二次世界大战回忆录》获得过诺贝尔文学奖。他的名言不仅充满哲理,而且简洁优美,是学习英语的好材料。

1.    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

成功只是片刻,失败也不致命。继续前行的勇气,才最可贵。

2.    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

悲观主义者在每个机会里看到困难。乐观主义者在每个困难里看到机会。

3.    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

勇气是能站起来侃侃而谈。勇气也是能坐下来静静倾听。

4.    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.你有敌人?很好。这说明在某个时刻,你曾有自己的立场。

5.    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

历史对我不错,因为都是我写的。

6.    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

命运不靠机缘,而是靠你的抉择。命运不是等来的,而是争来的。

7.    We are all worms, But I do believe that I am a glow worm.

我们都是小虫。但我是发着光的小虫。

8.    A joke is a very serious thing.

开玩笑是件严肃的事情。

9.    I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial... I thought I knew a good deal about it all, I was sure I should not fail.

我感到自己在与命运同行。过去所有的生命不过为这一刻的这个考验准备。我准备好了,我必将成功。

10.  The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong.

世界历史可以这样总结:强国总行不义。等到他们醒悟了,他们已经不再强了。
 楼主| 发表于 2016-7-10 21:06 | 显示全部楼层
11.  Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.

勇气就是不断失败,而热情仍在。

12.  This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

这不是结束,这甚至不是结束的开始。但,这可能是开始的结束。

13.  It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.

说“我们尽力了”,没有用,你要在必须做的事情上成功。

14.  We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

我们靠获得之物为生,但靠奉献之物书写生命。

15.  I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

我能奉献的无他,只有热血、辛劳、眼泪与汗水!

16.  A small lie needs a bodyguard of bigger lies to protect it.

一句谎话需要无数更大的谎话来遮掩。

17.  All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom,  justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

伟大的事情都很简单,而且大多数都可以被凝结成一个简单的单词:自由;公正;荣誉;责任;仁慈;希望。

18.  There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction
改变没有错,如果方向正确的话。

19.  Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.
风筝迎着风高飞,而不是顺着风。

20.  True genius resides in the capacity for evaluation of uncertain, hazardous, and conflicting information."
真正的才华体现在对未知、危险和矛盾的信息的判断之中。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|虎纹猫家园

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 03:53 , Processed in 0.024409 second(s), 14 queries .